Saturday, October 27, 2007

Construction Update

Well, I think I'm done tinkering with the blog's appearance for now. I'm happy with the new banner, but I'm not entirely thrilled with it. I love the drawing originally done by Simon Brisley of Conan, and wanted to include this "photoshopped" production of it as a dedication to what is probably my favorite fictional character. (I put "photoshopped" in quotations only because it does not seem to have officially entered into a dictionary, which I find surprising considering that it has been around for several years. The Wiki seems to suggest this may be due to the Adobe's resistance to the word being adopted for fear it may undermine their trademark.)

I chose the font I did because I felt it meshed well with the savagery of Conan's figure as depicted in the drawing. However, I realize it makes the word difficult to read. This is why I'm not entirely thrilled with the new banner. That, and I realize there is a lot of black space between the drawing and the title. I realize that banners can be too busy, but I just feel like there is something missing in that dark void. To paraphrase Nietzsche, I stare into the Abyss and it is staring mockingly back at me.

That stated, please let me know what you think of the new look. I'll probably be tinkering with it over the next month or so as I try to figure out what I want. One personal aspiration of mine is to get a scanner and start drawing my own artwork to use in the banners (I am a decent sketch artist and am hoping to learn to use Photoshop to color my work, though I tend to prefer the clean look of pen and ink or the subtlety of pencil).

1 comment:

PhillyChief said...

There's none better than Frazetta, and that Brisley painting is a blatant emulation of the master's style.

I advise you to take a ride, between 1.5-2 hours, to East Stroudsburg PA to visit the Frazetta museum (I think only open on Saturdays, I"m not sure). His classic techniques of impasto and variations in varnish are just some of the elements of his paintings that have yet to be correctly captured in prints. You must see the originals, and being in the same state, even the same side of the state, gives you no excuse not to go.