Saturday, October 27, 2007

Logophile's Daily Fix - Double Dose

I know, I know, I failed to post your daily dose yesterday. However, to make amends, I offer two words today. Try not to overdose.

I begin with a word that though is relatively unknown, is a figure of speech people often employ. The word is litotes, meaning:

–noun, plural -tes. Rhetoric.
understatement, esp. that in which an affirmative is expressed by the negative of its contrary, as in “not bad at all.”
[Origin: 1650–60; NL Gk lītótés orig., plainness, simplicity, deriv. of lītós plain, small, meager]
The next word, when used in a litotes, describes me fairly accurately. I am not very laconic. The word means:
–adjective
using few words; expressing much in few words; concise: a laconic reply.
[Origin: 1580–90; L Lacōnicus Gk Lakōnikós Laconian, equiv. to Lákōn a Laconian + -ikos -ic]
I know I feel better. After all, this is no small dose. (Lol. That last litotes is horrible, I know.) If I do not throw up an additional post today, I'll see everyone tomorrow for their daily fix.

No comments: